From the kitchen of Dr. Jackie Gardner-Nix
- Butter for frying
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 to 2 pears sliced
- 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bags or 2 lbs parsnips peeled and chopped
- Bay leaf (optional)
- 1 teaspoon each of salt and cumin
- ½ teaspoon each of nutmeg and black pepper
- Evaporated milk or coconut milk (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Melt butter in frying pan and stir in the onion, celery and pear and cook stirring till softened for about 5 minutes. Stir in the stock and add parsnips, and all the other ingredients except the parsley.
Cook until parsnips are tender.
Blend in a blender, using the stock to get the right consistency and then add enough of the evaporated milk (or coconut milk) to taste (optional).
Heat and serve sprinkled with parsley, drizzling either a little of the evaporated milk (or coconut milk) in the centre of the soup bowl or half teaspoon of pear puree or apple butter, if available.