Looking for One Day and Residential Retreats?
True North Insight offers meditation retreats in Ontario and Quebec
Crisis Text Line
text 686868 in Canada only
The holidays are a bustling time of events, preparations, and gatherings – the makings of a roller coaster of emotions of anticipation and anxiety. So what can we do? We can start by bringing in Beginner’s Mind and not expecting the worst; then letting go of the need for a specific outcome; and ultimately being okay with keeping our interactions light and on track – these all contribute to a very different experience.
But despite our most mindful efforts, this time of year can still be more difficult for some than others. Help is available: If you text CONNECT (English) or PARLER (French) to 686868 when you are feeling depressed or suicidal, a trained Crisis Responder will text you back immediately and will continue to text with you. Texting is a more comfortable alternative for any of us who don’t like talking over the phone.
- TEXT IN CANADA (FOR ANY AGE): The Crisis Text Line is a free 24/7 support, for anyone, in any type of crisis by texting CONNECT (English) or PARLER (French) to 686868.
- PHONE AND ONLINE IN CANADA: The Crisis Services Canada is nationwide suicide prevention and support network.
- TEXT IN THE US (FOR ANY AGE): The US Crisis Text Line also has a free, nationwide, 24/7 text message service for all people in crisis. Text HOME to 741741
- PHONE AND ONLINE IN THE US: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free, confidential suicide prevention hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.
Mindful Snow Clearing…
If you’re clearing your own snow, it’s very important to pace yourself and take rests.
But, there are other options available to you.
Did you know that in most provincial municipalities snow clearing is providing if you are a senior or person with a disability? If you have a sidewalk, driveway, or laneway that needs to be cleared of snow and ice after a store, contact your city or town hall, or county community care agency by phone or email. In larger cities, often a form needs to be completed, so it’s advisable to do so as soon as possible before the winter season starts.
While most municipal services are free, in small communities and hamlets, local volunteers may be able to provide neighbourly assistance when funds are unavailable to pay for snow clearing services. In Ontario, check out Ontario 211 for more information about snow clearing options in your community. In other provinces, search your internet for snow clearing options.
- To find out about the details of snow removal programs in your Ontario community, call 2-1-1.
- You can also chat online with 211 through this link, Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Or you can enter ‘snow shoveling’ and your municipality in the 211 home page search box to see if there are snow removal programs near you.
Climate Change Strategies We Can All Do Mindfully
Trauma Sensitive Mindfulness by David Treleaven
To learn more about this book please visit davidtreleaven.com